Harnessing the power of Microsoft Excel® to better manage data & improve investigations.
Microsoft Excel® for Public Safety™ is designed to help public safety personnel best utilize Microsoft Excel ® to successfully manage law enforcement specific data. Whether it is case specific data (e.g. telephone tolls, financials) or agency-wide data (e.g. arrest stats, fugitive lists, calls for service), it can be analyzed with just a few clicks using this powerful tool! This course is intended for law enforcement personnel, which includes: any sworn officer, support staff, administrative personnel, Supervisors and Management. Attendees need only a basic understanding of computers and Excel®. No technical or analytical background is required.
1. Uses in Law Enforcement – Telephone tolls; Financial analyses; Agency stats
2. Navigation & Manipulation – Rows, columns, cells, ranges, worksheets, workbooks
3. Tools – Autofill, conditional formatting
4. Simple formulas – Sum, Average, Median, Mode, Crime Rate, and Percentage of Change
5. Complex formulas – Date conversion to days of week, months of year
1. Concatenating – Combining data stored separately
2. Parsing – Separating data using Text to Columns
3. Best Charting practices – Bar, columnar, pie chart usage; proper use of data labels, legends, gridlines.
4. Why you should never chart in 3-D
5. Importing/Exporting – Linking data between Microsoft products; especially useful in updating statistics
6. Data Validation – Creating pull-down lists to give end users forced options
7. The three analytical tools you must know – Sorting, filtering, & the magic of Pivot Tables
Day Three (Optional)
1. Hands On Activities – Attendees develop their own materials in a structured hands-on environment.
2. Custom Development – Attendees work with instructor on existing case materials in need of support.